Monday, March 31, 2008

New Things

Saturday I had the opportunity to be a judge evaluator at the Arts and Music Festival for our denomination's youth. It was a statewide competition, so there were young people from churches across the state. I had been asked to evaluate several instrumental categories, but I only did three, since I didn't feel capable enough for the rest. I listened to several bass guitar solos, a couple of guitar solos, two cello solos, and two instrumental ensembles.

This was the first time I've ever done something like this, and I had a difficult time getting up to speed, learning to rate a performance with a score and helpful comments. I got gently scolded for not writing more and better comments. But by the last two performances I finally got the hang of it, and I was sorry it was over. (NOW let's start the day, now that I know what I'm doing!)

It was a good day, but I went home with a roaring headache, and went to bed earlier than usual.

I was up very early Sunday morning to get the family moving so we could get to church for worship team sound check and warm-up.

After church I met a young man who is new to church and he told me he has an electric violin, which was an interesting coincidence, because I just spent my free time last week researching electric violins, 'cause I think I want one.

Anyway, he offered to bring it in the evening for our church's monthly worship celebration service, so I got to play THIS:

Black

Very exciting and fun, especially since there are no music stores within driving distance that carry electric violins in stock, so I can't go try one. This was very cool, and I'm seriously considering getting one. Unless I get one of these:




That is a five-string violin, which is sort of a cross between a violin and a viola, and I really, really want one. Even if I get an electric one, I want it to have five strings, instead of the normal four, like this:
Group Shot

Or this, if we're feeling rich:



















When we got home last night, Swede was asleep on our futon, on his way home from visiting his son and daughter-in-law, and he ended up staying till two in the morning. No-- scratch that. He actually left about 6:30 this morning, after staying up till two with Hubby and a couple of our kids. (I had to crash much earlier.)

This morning I woke with a raging headache, which I have been fighting all day. I slept for a couple of hours this afternoon, and tonight I think I have a fever. Bleh. I think an early bedtime is in order tonight.

4 comments:

carrie said...

Very kewl violin...beautiful music to be made ;) Stop by my blog when your head's not throbbing and pick up a little something I presented to you ;)

PrayerMom said...

The cost of our new adventures in life is a period of looking like we don't know what we're doing. Congratulations on your new adventure, and a speedy recovery.

My Ice Cream Diary said...

You seem to drool over violins the way I drool over food. I wish I had a calorie free passion. (Books don't count because I like to eat while I read)

I hope you get better!

Ornery's Wife said...

Those are way cool looking instruments. Some day, I would love to hear you and your family play. Do you have any recordings made of your music?
TM