Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Eye of the (Holiday) Storm

After the rush of holiday activity, we've had a day or two of quiet; but tomorrow we have friends coming over for Neeyosh Kooka and potluck soup. And of course it will probably get late-- although we've been known to go to bed at midnight every night EXCEPT New Year's Eve. I guess our thinking is that we want to start the new year out right with a good night's sleep for once.

And now you probably want to know what Neeyosh Kooka are. Literally, the name means "New Year's Cookies." They are actually what I would call raisin doughnuts, or fritters, or some such thing: a soft, sweet, yeast dough with lots of raisins in it, spoonfuls of it deep fried, and rolled in sugar. Traditionally, they're a special treat for New Year's Day. My recipe was begged from the woman who used to make them to sell at our local annual MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) sale, so they are GOOD. One New Year's Day we had friends over and the guys got into an eating contest over the course of the afternoon, and I think the winner ate something like 27 of them!

So that's what's coming tomorrow, and I hope to get the floors mopped and the Christmas clutter picked up by then. And you know what? I think I'm going to get a head start on my year, and go to bed early TONIGHT!

No comments: