Friday, January 16, 2009

Not all repetition is vain

I was cleaning up my computer desktop and found a bookmark I had saved a few weeks ago. It's a short video of a sweet four-year old boy reciting the Christmas story, and I enjoyed watching as much this time as I did the first time, so I snitched it from The Pipers blog to share it with you.

But first, here's the backstory, quoted from the websitee:

During the month of December, we decided to read Luke, Chapter 2 every night before bed with Orison. We would do our Advent Calendar reading for the night, then Orison would settle into his bed for Daddy to read the account of Jesus’s birth.

He got excited about the repetition and predictability of it. “Are we going to read Luke 2 tonight?!?!”

The effect of reading one section of Scripture every night for a month was surprising. Nothing we anticipated, really. But on December 23rd, Abraham got him started and did an experiment to see how many words he knew in the story.

Basically, he just kept going. And going.

He had the whole thing almost word-perfect from verses 1-21. We were STUNNED!


My favorite part is where he explains that the "host" of angels is like a choir, and where they gave the message of "Peace!"

Enjoy!

No comments: