Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Six Quirky Things

I have been tagged by Cricket's Hearth for a list of Six Unknown/Quirky Things About Me.

It's taken me a few days to think about this one, because I don't consider myself a quirky person. I've always been the plain jane, adaptable person in the group.

I remember reading teen magazines many years ago when I was a teen, and finding out just how boring and uninteresting I really was, and probably still am. There would be articles featuring the teen of the month, and they would always be about girls who made their own clothes from old curtains and fabric scraps and vintage jewelry. They wallpapered their rooms with paisley scarves and seashells, and ate oysters with peanut butter for lunch. They loved obscure folk musicians and planned to major in The Use of Sculpture in Counseling.

Me? My clothes came from K-mart, or the most recent sack of hand-me-downs. My room was decorated with bargain store curtains, and posters that I pulled from the center fold of Pioneer Girls magazines. ("Smile! Jesus Loves You!" "Today is the first day of the rest of your life-- Start it right with Jesus!") I ate grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch, and listened to my Bill Gaither Trio record that I won at a bible club. I hoped someday to be a teacher, because it seemed like cheating to say I just wanted to get married and have kids.

I've seen the same kinds of articles as an adult, where the interviewer asks some famous somebody all about their "Favorites." They actually had a favorite food, a favorite restaurant, a favorite recording group, a favorite famous person they'd love to talk to, a favorite book character, someone interesting they'd like to get stuck in an elevator with.

Me? I don't have a favorite much of anything. That's because I like pretty much everything, and even what I don't LIKE, I don't mind, so I have very few things I despise. (um. Let me think. I guess I don't care for raw onions. Or raw mushrooms.) Which makes me feel like I have no personality. Isn't personality defined by your likes and dislikes?

And I would freak out with shyness and embarrassment if some famous author/speaker/whatever would spend a few hours with me. (What do I say? What should I do?)

As for getting stuck in an elevator, please let it be my Hubby, or possibly one of my kids, or maybe even one of our friends. It would be a good excuse for catching up on conversation. But some stranger, just to have a captive audience? Never.

ANYWAY. As I started out to say, I had a hard time coming up with six quirky things. I mean, how do I know they're quirky? Maybe everyone does those things. Or what if they're not quirky, as in endearing, but quirky, as in just plain weird? I guess I'll just have to take that chance.

Six Quirky Things About Me

1) I loved school as a child, and one of my favorite things to do was play school. That playacting came true when I grew up and was able to homeschool all four of my children. I got to play school every day for many years! (Too bad my kids didn't like it as much as I did.... Oh well. Maybe this one IS "just plain weird.")

2) I read a lot, but mostly books I've read before, unless it's non-fiction. I like to go back and visit those familiar worlds I've come to know. It's a safe little vacation from life. Non-fiction is different-- I like learning new things. I rarely read a non-fiction book more than once or twice.

3) I like kids' movies and books better than the stuff for grownups. Kids' stuff is less complicated, and usually has a happy ending. Isn't that a great grownup fantasy?: more simplicity and more happy endings?

4) The music I like is not limited to a particular style. I also don't like everything of one style, just because it's that style. I tend to like songs for their message and if they "grab" me. So I have lots of favorite songs that sound strange back to back.

5) I can't stand it when what someone says and what they do don't match. It's confusing and disturbing to me. Or when their mouth says something like, "no, I'm not angry," and their eyes look like murder.

6) Most mornings when I wake up, before I open my eyes, I spend time writing in my head. I find myself thinking out essays, or letters, or emails, or just organizing my thoughts. I don't always get those thoughts actually down on paper, but I do a LOT of mental writing.


Now I need to pass it on, but first, here are the rules:


~Link to the person that tagged you
~Post the rules on your blog
~Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself
~Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs
~Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website



Six Five people about whom I'd like to know six things:

Michelle at Heart of the Prairie
Carrie at Chocolate The Other White Meat
PrayerMom at Green Room Serenade
Lizzy at My Ice Cream Diary
Ornery's Wife at Thoughts From Miller Manor

9 comments:

PrayerMom said...

Only six--from the Wall of Quirks?! I'll need some time to narrow it down!

carrie said...

I have to narrow? hm. Well, I'll try.

orneryswife said...

I'll have to get back with you on this one. Right now I am BURIED under mountains of paper, both in my office and in my craft room. Then there is all the stuff in the dining room and the mess in the kitchen...But, I will keep it in mind for the next couple of days when I need inspiration for a post!
TM
PS Glad you liked the pix. I can go hunt him down and get some more if your hubby needs more details, just let me know!

Anonymous said...

I am impressed by your list after that build up! lol I do find it interesting you like to play school as a child and ended up homeschooling. And I agree with your dislike of people who "talk the talk, but can't walk the walk" Blessings, Cricket

michelle said...

All right...I went ahead and posted my list. I could have listed the same #1 quirk as you did, only I added an extra couple of steps. I loved school as a child, I played school every opportunity I had. I got my degree in education and then went out and taught in the schools (not nearly as fun as playing school, believe me.) From there, I had my kids and decided they would be homeschooled and now I have been playing school ever since and loving it.

Michelle
www.northofthe49.com

orneryswife said...

Okay, my post is up. I even put my picture on there! :-/
TM

PrayerMom said...

OOOOOOkay, den--I have the list itself posted. I had a bad day with the pain yesterday, and haven't yet found the energy to battle with putting in the backlinks and the forward links and the sausage links.

Norma said...

I'm a lot like you.

Wanted to comment on your blog title. It's very cold in Ohio right now, so I'm burning a chocolate scented candle in the kitchen (low cal) to fee cozy, then I randomly brought up your blog for TT, then Harry and David valentine catalog came, with chocolates on the cover!

Ice Cream said...

I could list many fun quirky things about you just from your past blog posts =)

This will be all too easy for me as I'm rather quirky in a closet sort of way. Thanks for the tag.