Hubby's parents grew squash in their garden this year, and the squash grew to enormous proportions. One of our boys brought one home for us, wearing it around his neck! I think it weighed over ten pounds. What's more, the folks have about thirty more just like it, and they are telling us, "Eat! Eat!"
Therefore, I am trying to become creative in ways to use squash. It's been interesting since we're not all that fond of squash, but money has been a little tight this winter, so free food is not to be scorned. These are ideas I have actually used, and we have liked. There are probably other ideas I haven't discovered yet, and if you know some, you are heartily invited to tell me about them. I still have at least 150 pounds of squash to use up!
I know this list would be a lot more interesting with pictures, but I just thought of it now, so I hadn't thought to photograph all the things I've cooked; and to accumulate photos starting now sounds daunting. So here's the list, plain and simple. You'll have to use your imaginations.
1. Shredded, and fried in butter, like hash browns. Incredibly good! (I thought this one up myself.)
2. Shredded or chopped, and sauteed with other vegetables, like broccoli, carrots, peppers, cabbage, or just about anything. Season and serve over rice.
3. Mashed, like potatoes.
4. Pureed, and added to macaroni and cheese. Makes the mac and cheese super creamy and colorful and filling.
5. Pureed, or shredded finely, and added to cake. Makes a very moist cake.
6. Sliced in rounds, brushed with oil, and baked.
7. Pureed, in potato soup (or cauliflower soup). Makes the soup pretty and tasty.
8. Chunked, and added to vegetable soup.
9. Substituted for pumpkin in pumpkin pie.
10. Pureed, and used for the liquid in biscuits.
11. Stuffed. I guess haven't done this with the enormous squashes we have this year, but I suppose you could just put a pile of stuffing on top of a thick slice of squash and bake it.
That's it. But here's a couple more ideas I bet I could use if we get tired of actually EATING the squash.
12. Use a whole one for a door stop. Or as a decoration, as part of an arrangement. I could even paint a face or design on it...
13. Cut in chunks as spud gun ammo.