Monday, August 6, 2007

Menu Plan Monday and Chocolate Sauce

I am happy to have found this "game" online, where bloggers share their menus. You know, I used to plan menus and shopping lists, but over the last year I have become slack, and cooking meals has been pretty chaotic in consequence. However, with the encouragement of knowing that there are many others doing the same thing I think I can become organized again. So here is my tentative menu plan for this week. (Since we homeschool and therefore have the family home all day, I am cooking two meals a day.)

Monday dinner has already happened at this writing and it was good. The peanut mole' was a new thing for me, and though I had my doubts about the peanut butter, it was actually good, and our guests asked for the recipe!

Monday
Dinner-- (birthday celebration meal) Grilled Pork Loin with Peanut Mole', marinated potato chunks, salad, coffee cake and ice cream
Supper-- Salsa Pizza, oranges & grapefruit, leftover cake

Tuesday
Dinner-- Sunburst Potatoes, Vegetables & Cheese; sauteed ham slices, sliced peaches
Supper-- grilled hamburgers with mushroom sauce, corn-on-the-cob, tomato mozzarella salad

Wednesday
Dinner-- Cheesy Ham Frittata, Veggie Slaw
Supper-- Sloppy Joes, Kidney Bean-Macaroni Salad, Mud-From-The-Crik

Thursday
Dinner-- Mom's Macaroni & Cheese, sauteed broccoli w/onions
Supper-- Grilled Ginger Pork, Cheesy Cauliflower, salad

Friday
Dinner-- Leftovers
Supper-- Salsa Peach Chicken with rice, yellow squash & zucchini, fruit yogurt

Saturday
Dinner-- taco salad, fresh strawberries with Reddi-Whip
Supper-- spaghetti, salad, bread sticks

Sunday
Dinner-- sandwiches, chips, fruit
Supper-- fast food


And here's the recipe for today. It's not original with me-- it comes from an old Mennonite cookbook-- but I would have invented it if I hadn't found it! This is a family favorite.

CHOCOLATE SAUCE

Stir together:
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 TB cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt

Add:
1 1/2 cups water

Cook till thick, stirring.

Stir in:
1 1/2 TB butter
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla


Use to make chocolate milk, or to top ice cream; or pour it over unfrosted cake or brownies. It's good any time, but especially when it's warm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This chocolate sauce is wonderful! I was priviledged to enjoy this and great hospitality as one of mhueberts' guests. My kids are asking when I'm making my own batch.