Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Silence Is...Duct Tape

I saw a t-shirt the other day that said

Silence is Golden;
Duct Tape is Silver


This has been a duct tape week.

Hormones + Headache + Unreasonable Irritability + General "I-can't-handle-life" = Duct tape across the mouth, as in, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

I did not literally use duct tape, just mentally; although once, years ago, I tied a bandanna over my mouth, just to remind myself to think first, and speak later, perhaps next week.

I feel I've done pretty well; and the family agrees with me, which is heartwarming and encouraging. One would hate to find that one's perceptions were wrong and, in fact, one had behaved miserably.

Of course, I have "cheated." This means simply that I have not kept my mouth shut merely by dint of super-human self-effort. Rather, it means I have taken naps, ingested homeopathic PMS tablets and headache tablets and ibuprofen, and my vitamins, and have read a lot to keep my mind off of how I feel, and myself out of everyone's way. And prayed a lot. Hubby and daughter helped me, with a head rub and a foot rub. Aren't they wonderful?

I feel like I should have a punch line, or some sort of insightful comment to tie up this comment with a nice bow. But all I have is duct tape.

P.S. I wonder if I can win something for a new creative use for duct tape:

Save your marriage-- use duct tape!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is so funny. (Said the women who lives in a town that throws a duct tape festival every year.) I actually did have duct tape on my mouth briefly today. Literally. If it didn't hurt so darn much when you pull it off I'd wear it all day tomorrow. LOL.