Thursday, August 23, 2007

Thirteen Favorite Homeschool Resources


Thirteen Things about mom huebert


Since I'm at the tail end of my homeschooling years, I'd like to list here my 13 most favorite resources I used over the years.

1. Miquon Math-- wonderful right-brain approach to math. After my daughter got bogged down half way through her algebra, I put her through this program, even though ostensibly it's for first, second and third grades, and it helped her immensely. (I learned a lot, too!)

2. Rod and Staff readers-- great re-telling of the entire bible for K-5 grade.

3. Animal Exercise Fun-- fun exercises for young children. You pretend to be animals, and stretch down to drink like a giraffe, or gallop around like a monkey. (I can't find a source to actually buy this book, but a link to the website is here.)

4. Ruth Beechick materials--a set of three guides to reading, writing and arithmetic and also a book called "You Can Teach Your Child Successfully."

5. Hundred Chart-- wow, I wish I had had this when I was young. It helped me see the relationship between numbers.

6. Sonlight materials, especially the history.

7. Grammar Songs-- well, I loved it, but the boys thought it was corny, singing "I'm a verb, verb, verb, I'm an action word."

8. Home School Family Fitness-- another great phys ed book, this time for older children. We had great fun with some of the games in this book.

9. Preschool A-B-C series from Rod & Staff-- absolutely wonderful set of workbooks with learning activities for preschoolers.

10. Bob Books-- we loved using these for reading practice.

11. Considering God's Creation-- kids enjoyed making their science notebooks. We still have them!

12. Moody Science series-- we have watched these multiple times.

13. The McGuffey Readersand Ray's Primary Arithmetic-- We actually used the first, I think, three readers in the McGuffey Readers, and the Parent/Teacher guide that Ruth Beechick wrote is wonderful. Also, the very first in the Ray's Arithmetic series was really useful. The others were not so much for us.

Well, now I feel very nostalgic. Those were the good old days. *sigh* Three of my homeschool students are graduated, and one is still home. Ah well, to quote Grandmum from 3-2-1 Penguins: "Good memories, all that matters."
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow thanks for putting my book on your list. Animal Exercise Fun is finally available for sale at the website you linked to.

thanks, mike