Friday, August 1, 2008

It's WONDER-ful

I've been using the Book of Common Prayer, which uses its own translation of the Psalms. It's been interesting to me to see verses I've read all my life in the King James version come alive in a new way in a different translation. The slightly changed wording often gives me a fresh understanding.

A couple of examples:

Psalm 118:24
KJV "This is the day that the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."

BCP "On this day the Lord has acted; we will rejoice and be glad in it."

If you read this verse in context, you find the psalm is talking about the "stone the builders rejected" that has become "the chief cornerstone," referring to Jesus Christ, and in the changed version I suddenly realize the verse can be applied to the day Christ rose from the dead. Just an interesting little twist, I think.

I also like to think about this verse when I'm praying. I know that when God answers my prayer, I will be able to say with the psalmist: "On this day the Lord has acted," and I will rejoice!

Psalm 4:3
KJV "But know that the Lord hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the Lord will hear when I call unto him."

BCP "Know that the Lord does wonders for the faithful: when I call upon the Lord, he will hear me."

I've always heard this verse used to show us that we belong to God, and he has set us apart, making us holy, which is cool.

But I love the picture the other version gives me: The Lord does WONDERS. For the faithful-- which can be ME!

No comments: