I had a different list ready to go, but LovelyDaughter and I were having a talk the other day and started commiserating and laughing about things that annoy us. And suddenly I thought, What a great rant list! So here you go:
Thirteen Things That Annoy Me
1) "Pour" instead of "pore." As in, "He's pouring over his books." He's what? What's he pouring? I get a picture of someone dumping a pitcher of syrup all over a pile of open books. The word is PORING, when it has to do with studying.
2) "Loose" instead of "lose." As in, "Be careful not to loose your keys." What? Be careful to keep the keys tight? Oh-- you mean don't "LOSE" your keys. Yeah, I want to be able to find them.
3) "Prophecy" instead of "prophesy." Prophe-CY is a noun. The prophet gave a prophecy. Prophe-SY is a verb. It's what you do when you give a prophecy.
[I guess I could have put these first three under one heading of "misspellings," or "misuse of words," but these are the ones the annoy me the most. Besides, one of my favorite t-shirt slogans I've seen is "Bad Spellers of the World-- UNTIE!"]
4) When people pull out in front of me, and slow down. There's no one behind me for miles, but the car coming off the interstate quickly pulls out in front of me, and then slowly drives across the overpass--in front of me-- and turns off at the gas station, while I'm fuming with impatience at having to hit the brakes and wait for them to turn.
5) Someone reading over my shoulder while I write. Don't look! It's not presentable yet!
6) Someone reading over my shoulder when I'm reading. Makes me nervous for some reason. Plus, if that someone reads more slowly than I do, I can't turn the page till THEY'RE done. Who's reading this, anyway?
7) When I say something to someone I THOUGHT was listening to me, and get no response. Talk to me!
9) Too many cats. What do you all want? I just fed you! Get out from under my feet!
10) Gratuitous bad language. An occasional strong word in a frustrating situation I understand. But a stupid bad word in every stupid sentence is just stupidly stupid.
11) The way sex is used to sell EVERYTHING. Does everyone have a one track mind?
12) The way someone will ask me about my life, and then proceed to interrupt me two sentences in and spend two hundred sentences telling me about THEIR life.
13) Fw: Fw: Fw: emails that shout at you with guilt-producing messages and then insist that you spread the annoyance by forwarding them to everyone you know. Yup--I forward them all right: To the trash! MUAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!
Okay, that's my rant for the day. How 'bout you? What makes you annoyed?
Oops-- Sniz says I forgot number 8. I guess I just missed it. Here it is:
8) When someone (usually a certain someone) insists on turning an ordinary conversation into a debate/argument by contradicting EVERYTHING I say. Stop already!
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants